Thursday, October 23, 2008

GETTING READY TO PLAY A KING


Take a look at me! Just exactly how long would you expect a good make-up artist to transform me into a real-life, nineteenth-century Siamese king?
Would you believe it took Michael Westmore three-and-a-half hours to do the job? Even though I had a tan dark enough to pass for Southeast Asian, there was a little matter about coloring the hair and giving the eyes that Oriental look.
Then, came the costume!
They could have picked any old costume out of the Hollywood costumer's shop! But, no! They had to customize one that would look grand enough to win an award. They could have re-used the same one that Chow Yun-Fat wore in the movie "Anna and the King of Siam". God forbid!
The producers and director were thinking about the critics who would see the show.
So, who would they pick to design my costume?
Then, they thought about Eiko Ishioka, the Academy Award-winning costume designer who ran away with the Oscar for her designs for "Bram Stoker's Dracula".
Ms. Ishioka met with me alone to take measurements. First, I had to strip down to a pair of swim trunks so she could get the correct measurements of my chest, shoulders, waist, hips, thighs and knees...so she could make the costume fit snugly yet still fit me comfortably.
After going through all this, I wondered if the other stars were having the same trouble with their costumes. Catherine (Oxenberg) just needed some gowns, hats and shoes. But, Ziyi Zhang and Takeshi Kaneshiro (who were making their American stage debuts as the Burmese lovers Tuptim and Lun Tha) needed Oriental costumes just like mine...but less Siamese.
When time came for the dress rehearsals, Ms. Ishioka saw just how unique her costumes were...especially when Catherine and I rehearsed the "Shall We Dance" number. Everybody present were on pins and needles, wondering if any part of my costume was going to split during the exerting polka. But, when the conductor reached the crescendo, we looked at each other...as everybody applauded.
Ms. Ishioka's designs were successful!
I could hardly wait for opening night.

No comments: